13 July, 2006

Scusi, non parlo Italiano molto bene. Your Fiat is parked on my foot.


I really love learning Italian. It’s hard, don’t get me wrong. I’m definitely not sailing through and magically acquiring fluency like in the classic, brainy heroine with a broken heart and/or bad fashion sense moves to a foreign country and transforms into a confident, beautiful, well-dressed picture of charm and elegance kind of way.
~Have you seen those movies? Fabulous, all of them. Usually, smiling locals only have to provide a chic outfit and a haircut and then our heroine is a new woman. I am such a sucker for transformation flicks.~

Some days, like today, I really wish that I had a Matrix-style jack chip that I could just plug in to my bella-cerebellum and be able to discuss Dante and the finer points of Italian Design and Art and perhaps even talk coherently to my butcher. But alas, not gonna happen. I actually need to work at this. Damn.
Yet, with this realization of the coming hard slogs over grammar texts, lives hope. One day I will begin to dream in Italian – I have been told that this comes along after you reach a certain stage in a language where you are more comfortable and have some vocabulary and skill. When this night comes, I will be extremely happy. Shocked and happy. And the next morning, I’m going to get my hair done, buy some new clothes and go stand in line at the butcher’s.

4 Comments:

Blogger Uben Hertwig said...

Did I ever tell you that sometimes I dream in German?!? And sometimes I talk in my sleep in German! Last thing I said was, "Ich habe es bemerked." Bernd said exactly, "What have you bemerked" which just woke me up and thus the recall of talking in my sleep in HIS language. Made me laugh.

7/14/2006 5:34 p.m.  
Blogger Do said...

That's hilarious. I chat away happily in German in my sleep alot - although it's much less frequent since I moved here. And I think my declining is better in my sleep! That's just sad!

7/15/2006 10:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful and funny entry Donna! I wish I could be around some Italian liveliness now ... it's contagious, isn't it?

On another note, do you know Verbix? Really helpful for quick conjugations:
http://www.verbix.com/languages/italian.shtml

Ciao!

7/24/2006 2:42 p.m.  
Blogger JC said...

This is one terrific post. So, did you ever have that dream in Italian?

9/08/2010 8:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home