01 August, 2006

Really, Basil...

By semi-popular demand, a recipe for

Pesto
-One cup Pine Nuts
-clove of Garlic, peeled and chopped
-Sea Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper
-2 overflowing cups of fresh Basil leaves
-One cup of Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated
-extra virgin Olive Oil

Warm the pine nuts a little in a pan to bring out the flavour. If you would like to toast them go ahead and brown them a little but this will change the flavour of your pesto. I have heard both never to do this and to always do this – I have tried both ways and I think it depends on your basil. If it is young and fresh I don’t toast the nuts but only warm them a little; if it is an older basil plant with a more developed flavour or has flowered, then I definitely toast the nuts lightly.

~Don’t forget! You eat first with your eyes!
Remember to put aside a few pine nuts, a little parmesan and some basil leaves to pretty up your dish later.~

Prepare your basil leaves by letting them sit in cold water for a little while before use.
Shake dry and chop lightly.

If you have a mortar and pestle drag it out! A food processor works well too. Crush one clove of garlic, a tiny little bit of sea salt and the basil together until it is a beautiful green mush. Crush the nuts separately and then add to the basil mix. Now smell this – it really is incredible. Add about ¾ of the parmesan cheese a little at a time and stir gently. Add some oil to get whatever consistency you desire, add more cheese if you like, and then season with the salt and pepper to your taste.

If you are using the pesto with pasta – prime the pasta with a little bit of butter and then add a touch of hot water when mixing. If you are making your pesto to serve with risotto, warm the pesto slightly in the microwave or a butter pan before serving.

Pesto can be stored in the fridge for a few days and I’ve heard can be kept in the freezer for about three months. I grow my basil on the balcony. For those of you who remember my history as a plant murderess and are mute and shocked at this fact, look upon the photo above and marvel at my reformed ways!

3 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

Wow! I can't wait to try this. I have seen many Pesto recipes that look wonderful, but none have come with inside information about when to toast the pine nuts and when not to... I feel so Italian just thinking about it! Grazie!

8/01/2006 6:05 p.m.  
Blogger Do said...

Prego, Deborah!

I am trying desperately to learn the little things that make the difference in an Italian recipe and I am glad to share them!
If you are interested, this site is amazing for authentic recipes.
http://www.incucina.tv/
There is a "give it to me in English please" button on this page too, thankfully. My poor little Italian-rattled brain can't handle much more than a few recipes at a time!

8/01/2006 10:57 p.m.  
Blogger Do said...

Or is it raddled?
Hmmm. Probably both!

~raddled
adj 1: worn until no longer useful
~rattled
Informal. To fluster; unnerve:

8/01/2006 11:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home