05 October, 2006

I'm sure could learn Italian faster if I had better shoes.

I hope to be going back to Italian lessons soon. I have to wait to see how many people sign up – if there are enough then the class goes ahead. If not, I am COL and have to go into the next city (hassle) or hire a tutor (expensive) – so I am crossing my dita.

Italian is easier in many ways than German, but sadly enough; it still involves work and memorizing and using parts of my brain that are having a hard time switching from Deutsch. I still regularly say “Ja, si” and “vielen, uh, grazie”. It’s like I have a second language Rolodex brainfile and only one whizzy cartridge can be in use at a time. It took a long time for the German file to get in there to replace the French so I guess it’s not surprising that the Italian one is slow in arriving. (Note to self, check mailbox for phone bill)

Italian is similar to French but has a lot more conjugation (like Latin) and the verb endings in the more complex tenses are really hard. On the other hand, you don’t use personal pronouns that much (built into the verb ending) and if you want to ask a question, all you have to do is intonate at the end of the sentence. No pesky inversion even. The people are great and are thrilled when you can speak a little and when you say that you don’t in any way shape or form understand anything that they say, will continue to talk to you and expect you to answer, or at least nod knowingly. I rely on the deer in the headlights look and generally get a face pat from the old women who I imagine are saying something like “oh, you are kind of cute in a pale sort of way, so it’s okay that you are not so clever. But you really do need better shoes and a tan.” Si. Indubbiamente. Danke.

2 Comments:

Blogger Uben Hertwig said...

Funny hunny! We all need better shoes and a tan. All language stuff is interesting to me. But deep down I think we should all just take a deep breath and go English hee hee.

10/09/2006 2:03 p.m.  
Blogger Larry Aiello said...

Yes, I agree.

You could learn Italian better if you had some Italian shoes...and you will look better too!

Buon fortuna

Larry Aiello
http://www.Italian-Link.com

10/11/2006 11:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home